The Office of State Senator Patricia Jehlen
Senator Jehlen’s office is currently seeking applicants for internships beginning in May. Interns will learn the day-to-day functions of a legislative office while also having the opportunity to assist with communications, legislation, and constituent services. Although all internships in Senator Jehlen’s office are unpaid, interns gain crucial experience by working in government, on policy, and gathering experiences through the various roles they take on.
Responsibilities Will Include:
- Answering phones and transferring to the appropriate staffer
- Greeting visitors
- Entering data into a constituent services database
- Attending events and note taking
Responsibilities may also include (depending on personal goals and office needs):
- Draft constituent response letters, press releases, and op-ed pieces
- Maintain press clippings
- Staff and photograph events
- Build social media calendars
- Research policy & legislation
- Draft fact sheets & testimony
- Attending hearings, briefings, and Senate sessions
- Assist constituents in understanding and accessing government services
Internships in Senator Jehlen’s office may be different based on the intern’s goals, and we are very open to working with each intern to craft an individualized experience for them. Although each internship will have certain basic responsibilities, the scope of each internship is subject to discussion.
Interns should have a passion for public policy and a knack for taking initiative. Seeking undergraduates, graduate students, or recent graduates only. Please send a copy of your resume and a cover letter explaining why you would like to intern with the Senator’s office to Tara Smith at Tara.Smith@masenate.gov. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.